Salmon may be the symbol of the Northwest, and steelhead may be the soul, but Sea-Run Cutthroat are the heart. For those who call the South Puget Sound their home water, these fish are everything. In the past sea-run cutthroat advocates, with their fingers on the pulse of the Puget Sound, saw the external threats that were bringing sea-run cutthroat numbers down. Determined not to let this resource slip away, they did something about it. Now cutthroat are doing well in the Puget Sound, but are still facing threats. The South Sound Fly Fishers have pledged to carry the torch and continue to make sure these fish can thrive in their natural environment.
For 2013 and 2014 SSFF projects will focus on the sea-run cutthroat’s freshwater environment. Through hook and line surveys, scale samples, photo documentation and observation we intend to provide hard evidence to whether or not these cutthroat are utilizing south Puget sound streams during non-spawning times (times when these streams are under harvest regulations). With our findings we will work with WDFW to shape regulations to better protect these fish. We will also continue to help WDFW with cutthroat redd surveys, as well as making sure signage is posted on beaches and on catch-and-release waters leading to the south sound.
To help fund these efforts we have partnered with Fish Brewing to create an exciting and fun way to raise money!
For the month of November Fish Brewing will be serving a South Sound Fly Fishers Ale to help raise money for cutthroat conservation. For a $15 donation to SSFF cutthroat projects, you will receive a 32-oz SSFF cutthroat growler as a thank you. There is no limit on donations and growlers!
Here is what you need to know:
- All of November you can buy a pint of SSFF Ale at any Fish Tale Pub location. Fish Brewing will donate $1/pint to South Sound Fly Fishers sea-run conservation projects.
- You can donate to our project at www.southsoundflyfishers.org/SRCproject. When you donate $15 or more, you will receive a SSFF growler as a thank you! You will be able to pick them up at any Fish Tale Brew Pub.
- There will be an event kick off night on Saturday November 2nd from 6-9pm at the Olympia Fish Tale Brew Pub.
- Directions to your local Fish Tale Brew Pub can be found below.
- If you would like to help in anyway contact Ryan Haseman at [email protected]
Directions to the Olympia Fish Tale Brew Pub
Directions to the Everett Fish Tale Brew Pub